Geordie Jahner, Ph.D. reflects on the map of the 5Rhythms work…
As free-form as the 5Rhythms dance practice is, not everyone is aware that it also follows a very specific map as developed by founder Gabrielle Roth. As we progress in our understanding of the practice, we see that each level of the work builds meticulously upon the previous learning, gradually spiraling upward and inward until we reach the heart of the matter – the dance of breath, movement, stillness and silence.
1) Waves – Physical Freedom
In Waves level work we concentrate on experiencing and embodying the basics of the physical practice, investigating the specific medicine inherent within each of the five rhythms of Flowing, Staccato, Chaos, Lyrical and Stillness. We also explore the light and shadow sides of each rhythm.
2) Heartbeat – Emotional Freedom
In Heartbeat work we explore how each rhythm can be a gateway into a specific emotional field –
- Flowing can be a gateway to an investigation of Fear
- Staccato can catalyze and support an investigation of Anger
- Chaos catalyzes and supports the experience of Sadness
- Lyrical catalyzes and supports an investigation of Joy
- Stillness catalyzes and supports an investigation of Compassion
Heartbeat work helps us integrate our emotional expression into our dance practice and in our lives.
The upcoming ‘Heartbeat’ weekend workshop led by Geordie (May 14-16) will begin our exploration of how we can use our dance to creatively process emotions as they arise, welcoming them as powerful allies in this amazing experience of human being-ness. Through creative movement explorations of risk-taking and the process of transforming fear into courage, we can cultivate and awaken the courageous heart that lies within each of us. The overriding intention of Heartbeat work is to cultivate our willingness to experience and embrace ‘it all’ in the interests of being fully alive, rather than ‘merely existing.’ The workshop provides time and space for us to turn inward and listen to the murmurs of our beautiful, tender, beating hearts.
3) Cycles – Psychological Freedom
In Cycles level work we use the platform of the 5Rhythms to explore the various developmental stages of our individual learning and growth. We see that each rhythm provides a gateway to a specific developmental cycle or phase of life.
- Flowing supports an investigation of our experiences of conception, pregnancy and birth and how they live on in our bodies and in our dance
- Staccato supports an investigation of our personal and universal experiences of early childhood
- Chaos supports an investigation of our defining experiences as adolescents
- Lyrical supports an investigation of our personal and universal experiences as maturing adults
- Stillness supports an investigation of our personal and universal experiences of aging and death
4) Mirrors – Freedom from Mind
In Mirrrors work we use our dance practice to explore the personalities and core beliefs our small self is wrapped around, witnessing our habitual responses to core wounds and strategies, and using ritual theater to support the process of disidentification from limiting egoic structures.
5) Silver desert – Home Free
In Silver Desert we return to the breath, reconnect with source, and explore our relationship with the divine through movement and meditation as we revel in stillness and silence.
Geordie Jahner, Ph.D. has been a certified 5Rhythms teacher for 14 years, and has taught movement and dance as a healing art for over 25 years. Her Ph.D. is in Psychology, specializing in movement-based expressive arts therapy. She is also a professional facilitator of the Halprin Life Art Process, and was formerly involved with Limbs Dance Company in the ‘80’s.
“Geordie is one of the most sensitive, intelligent and talented human beings I have ever worked with. She is a force to be reckoned with. Her clarity, passion and embodiment of the 5Rhythms, and her original slant make her a brilliant and accomplished teacher. Because she has used this path as a personal transformation process, she can actually take somebody by the hand and lead them in their own quest to heal. I consider it a privilege to have her as my colleague.” ~ Gabrielle Roth
To Register for the upcoming ‘Heartbeat’ workshop with Geordie Jahner, Ph.D. May 14-16 at Mana Retreat Centre, Coromandel – please call 07 866 8972 or
email email@example.com. Cost: $375 (includes food & accommodation).